Shades of Ireland

Friday, April 20, 2012

Swimming Upstream....



http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/04/they-call-us-crazy-how-to-thrive-when-living-a-non-mainstream-lifestyle/


I read this post today and it resonated with me. There are a couple of points that don't fit in my situation but basically it describes me and my life pretty well.

It is not easy and I don't mean to whine but ........ dang! Sometimes, I wish that I could just blend in a bit more. My whole life, I just haven't done things the way that everybody else has or thought that I ought to.  When I was younger, the rejection and ridicule stung quite a bit. It didn't cause me to change whatever it was that I was doing at the time but it did make me a bit quieter about it. Now that I am older and considered wiser ( HA!), I could care less. Honestly, I don't get much face-to-face flack anymore because I intimidate the stuffing out of most people. I am a very nice old gal but I just seem to give off those "don't mess with Mama" vibes.

 While I have been very lonely at times, this way of life was a calling for me. It didn't make me treat people who choose NOT to live this way badly or disrespectfully. I find myself able to accept other people's choices.

Recently, I became aware of a situation. Apparently, there was a family that we barely knew that told wild tales about our family. They didn't just tell a few people, they spread this stuff far and wide. This was years ago and I had heard a few rumblings about it but I did not know the extent of it until very recently. Frankly, I could care less what that family thought of us and after all this time, the end results have proven to be in our favor. What really sting my heart is the people who believed that nonsense. People who knew us much better than the liars and I thought regarded us as friends----- and never said a word to us or in our defense.

Now years later, when most of my kids are grown and turning out as productive, well rounded citizens...... this stuff has surfaced. I guess the best revenge is living well.......after all.





Like it or not, I am exactly what I am....... and frankly, there are enough people that I respect and care about who seem to like me just the way I am....... and that is quite enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment