Shades of Ireland

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Milking Problems

I made it!! This is my 100th post on this blog. In the past, I have not done a very good job of blogging and my goal for this year to was to reach the 100 mark. I know that there is not a lot of excitement, drama or even interesting things on here. Most people probably think that there are waaaaaay too many pictures of goats, dogs and cows on this blog. This is most of my life these days and I am very content.




My poor Holly still has a congested udder. This is her picture AFTER milking. Her udder is not hot, hard or infected. It is just firm and full but not full of milk. It has gotten better each day but it is frustrating for both of us at milking time. She is sore from the edema and I am tired of hauling all the hot water and rags out there to use as warm compresses. I use a peppermint udder cream to rub and stimulate circulation. My chore clothes smell like Christmas. All that work and we get about a pint of milk.


Her calf is with her all the time and helps by nursing out of 3 quarters. He is growing and looking really good so I know that she has enough milk for him and she IS getting better. I keep telling myself that.  Notice how Noel is now her new BFF. The other heifer went to her new home yesterday.

This is something that sometimes affects heavy milkers and Holly is by modern standards a VERY old cow. There are all kinds of theories about what causes a congested udder but I am inclined to think that it is nutritional. Holly is just too fat. That is my fault but I just can't help it---- I don't ever want to see her skinny again.

Even when she was so emaciated last year, she still had a congested udder and it took a week or so for it to pass and her milk to "come in". This just may be how she rolls. I do not know how long she had been fresh when I bought her but it was very recent because she still had a vaginal discharge. Now that she is .....pleasantly plump..... and been fresh just a over a week, I am thinking that she is on the mend. Her udder is smaller and softer and the calf is very active and growing. Really--- it is......



Salena is still helping Lizzy with her pups. Most of the day, she has half of them in a cozy bed in front of the fireplace. They stay away from Lizzy for about 2 hours and we bottle feed them. Then we swap and bring in the other half. Prissy is resigned to having them in the house. Today, they get their tails nipped off...... Lord help us!

My big job of the day is to try to figure out how to use my Christmas present. My family gave me an eBook Reader. I am clueless about downloading on to it but I have managed to get the radio on it to work! LOL! I love to read and have read every book in this house several times. I can't wait to get this thing working!

Thank you for reading!

Tana Mc

No comments:

Post a Comment