Shades of Ireland

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last Jersey Update of 2011

It has been 17 days since I brought the rescue Jersey girls home. One has gone to her new home with my dear friend and is doing well.  I managed to hobble over to the barn late this afternoon to take one last picture of her for this year. I am very pleased with how this has turned out.


Still long and lean but at least she has a little flesh over those ribs and hip bones. I think that she is growing in height, too. I keep forgetting to bring over a pair of scissors to remove the orange tape. Since doe season starts tomorrow, it might not be a bad idea to leave it on a bit longer..... she is rather deer-like.

Sis tells me that the pups are begining to get their eyes open..... just little cracks but they are growing by leaps and bounds. Lizzy leaves them long enough to make the farm rounds with us.

We made the decision to day to remove the calf from poor Holly. Her udder is still slightly engorged but the worst part is the scar tissue from her previous lactations. Her udder and teats just can't take the daily wear and tear of having a calf nurse vigorously. When I brought her home last year, her teats were a cut up, bloody mess. It healed well enough for us to carefully milk her but this calf is tearing it all up again. Since we have already given him a bottle or two of colostrum, he had no trouble taking a bottle of milk this evening. We have penned him so that Holly still has access to him so they are not bawling for each other. He just can't suck. My beloved Holly is still my favorite milker but she has issues...... I am very glad that it has worked out to get Noel. I am hoping she has just as much improvement over the next 17 days.....

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment