Shades of Ireland

Monday, February 27, 2012

Definite Spring Fever

Yesterday, Salena and I worked out in the garden a bit just trying to clean things up a bit. Moved tomato cages and set up a "trial cold frame". Pulled up what was left of some of last years plants and tossed them in the compost bin. I have two wire compost bins that are complete eyesores that I need to move but they have been such complete failures that I am reluctant to open them up. Lots of broken limbs and stuff that was just too big to compost and I was being lazy about setting them up. Think that I will just set up a pallet fence in front of them and forget about them for another year--- or two. Surely, something will have rotted down by then.........

I had some onion sets and a few garlic cloves that I stuck in a small raised bed. Then I came inside and started setting up a small grow box that I saw on U-Tube. I didn't get it all put together before I skipped to the fun part. I filled up some pots with starter soil and planted tomato seeds. I put them in 4 inch pots so that I won't have to transplant them later and I ended up fitting 21 in the box.

Today, I finished getting the lights rigged up. I have had some of these seeds for several years. This will be a good test to see if it is still viable.

Salena made it back to school, Charlie and Seth are off to work, Adam is working on some project outside and Neil hasn't made it home yet. Think I'll take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment