Shades of Ireland

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow bound--- almost!

Gracious, it is an awesome storm! The snow is coming down fast enough to quickly cover up and fill in your tracks.  As the winter goes on, you get a little better prepared for each storm. I am very grateful for my teenage son, Seth. He steadfastly just gets with it and does what needs to be done -- rain or shine --- and in this case blowing snow. Right now, he is frying eggs and bacon.

This is what it looked like going out of my back door just after sunrise.

It was already over 6 inches deep and had blown into the garage under the door. As I headed over to the barn, the dogs all romped and raced around me.

The wind was driving the snow straight from the north at about 30mph. I was wishing that I had a facemask. This is the barn!! We staggered in the door and 60 lambs all stood up and began bellowing for breakfast. The ten big outside lambs were very happy to see me coming with their milk. I left the feeder in with them while I went to handle putting out some hay. It took about 20 minutes to get back around to them. They had finished but the remaining milk had turned to slush and the nipples were frozen.
It took me almost 45 minutes to get the woolies all fed and settled down before I could set up to milk Holly.

I raised up the garage door and was astounded to see that the snow was at least 8-10 inches deep.

I leaned around the corner and screeched for Holly to get up here so I could close the door. It was 11 degrees

This is a tricky gate to get her girth through on a good day. I kept telling her to slow down because it is a slick hill. My last milk cow slipped on a snowy day and fell and broke her hip. We had to put her down and it nearly killed me. Not worry, Holly barrelled her way into the barn and I shut the door behind her.

She has put on almost 100 lbs since I brought her home just before Christmas.

After I got her all milked out and her udder rubbed down to prevent frostbite, Holly demanded a flake of alfalfa and a bucket of warm water. I let her stand and eat while Seth fed the bottle calf and I refilled the lamb milk bars. When I shoved Holly back out of the barn, the snow was perfectly smooth and it looked at if she had never plowed her way up there in the first place.

Fire is crackling inthe fireplace and the kids have  the movie  "Secreteriat" going. Daddy called and has decreed that none of us will be leaving the farm today.  Hopefully, he will make it in early today.


  1. Stumbled across your blog via Cold Antler Farm and am really enjoying seeing what life on a Kansas farm/ranch is like! Thanks for the distraction.

  2. Thank you for your kind words and for being the 1st to post a comment on my blog!

  3. You have others who have followed you over here, too =)

  4. It is kind of intimidating to know that people are actually reading this..... LOL!

  5. On a side note, I just got in from evening chores. The snow was drifted up so deep that Holly could barely get out of her barn stall. There was no way to get her in thru the normal route so we just opened the "people door" and squeezed her up the steps and thru to the milking station.