Shades of Ireland

Monday, April 4, 2011

Off Farm Work

I only had to work until 12:30 today but we worked fast and furious! I did manage to snap a few pictures.


This is a "flat filler". The conveyor belt rolls the flats in to the machine and it fills them with soild and smooths it off --- ready for plants. My job is to put the empty pakets into the tray and feed them on to the belt. Notice that I have some extras stacked up on top. This givesme a little wiggle room but mostly cuts down on the dust that comes my way. Quite franlky, it is all that I can do to keep ahead of this machine!




This is what they look like when they come out and head for the transplanter.




This gizmo automatically transplants "plugs"  into the flats. It only takes about 20 seconds to put a plant in all 36 slots.


Eventually, the flats end up on a buggy. Either it gets moved into a greenhouse or rolled in to a truck.




It is hard wok but the scenery is awfully pretty.




It is a cold windy day today and I am tired. I think that I am going to have to take a break for a couple of hours before I get to handling farm chores.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the pictures! I just LOVE seeing how automated thingies work....especially automated thingies that produce such wonderful products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed athow fast it all goes and how organized the owner is..... yesterday, I used almost 2 tons of potting soil before lunch!

    ReplyDelete