Shades of Ireland

Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Friends Are Good to Me

I got a call a few days ago from another goat breeder. I met this young man at a goat show. He was on his own so we just herded him right in with our family. We had a great time and he had a beautiful Saanen buck. I asked if he thought I could work out a deal to breed a couple of my does to this buck. Travis is a wise kid who said that he would have to talk to his mom first. It wasn't long before I got call from "mom". Toni and I hit it off right away and before long, she drove the five hours to my house and left that big buck with me for the breeding season. Since then, I have been down to spend a few days with them and we have enjoyed visiting at other goat shows. They have been very generous and I have tried my best to return the favors.

Through several twists of bad luck, I do not have an Alpine buck this year. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to handle breeding my 5 Alpine does. I had pretty good luck with AI-ing several of them last year but...... I just can't seem to stir up much enthusiasm for doing that now. Then the call came from Travis. Seems he has an extra young buck that he used last year. He kept several of his daughters so he didn't have much work for him---- did I want to keep him and use him this breeding season???? Travis bought this buck while he was in California. His pedigree was enough to drop my jaw....... Redwood Hills!!!

Guess who I went and picked up this afternoon? Neil and I drove down to Bartlesville, Ok and we met Toni and her mom at the mall. We made the big switch and headed back home. As soon as we unloaded him, he bred two does. Talk about timing!!!
So far, I have hauled 2 does to be bred to a Boer buck, bred 2 to the Saanens, and now we have 2 with the Alpine. Going to be an interesting klidding season......

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what great luck with the bucks! I'm STILL trying to find a decent Boer buck to breed one of my gals to. Couldn't find one last year, so she just got our "standby" guy here. :)

    ReplyDelete