Shades of Ireland

Thursday, April 11, 2013

One of Those Moments.....

As I sit here at lunch tapping away at this blog, I realize that I have had one of THOSE defining moments today......

The day started out just fine with nothing unusual for our house other than they called Charlie in to work for a few hours this morning. We are short one vehicle these days so sometimes I have been literally "stuck" here on the farm until Seth gets home at lunch. Since Charlie was going to work on his day off, this was going to be one of those days.

I rousted Adam out of bed and headed over to get the milking shores started. Currently, I am feeding corn silage to most of the livestock-- except the horses. For any of you that don't know, corn silage is corn that is harvested (usually before it is mature) stalk, leaves, corn and all. It is chopped up and all put into a container or a "pit" and packed down to press out all of the air. It is covered tightly and allowed to ferment. Ruminants like cows, sheep and goats absolutely LOVE it and it is very nutritious for them. It also has a very strong sweet/sour fermented odor....... Anyway, I have some stored in barrels that I have gotten from a friend's pit.  The barrel that I am feeding out of right now is about half full and I have to lean waaaaay over in there to get my feed bucket full.

As I came up out of the barrel with my very smelly silage, something very strange happened to me. I nearly fainted. The pressure in my head made me feel as if my eyes were literally going to pop out of my head and the whole barn spun crazily out of control....... the worst part was that these crazy feelings did not pass..... the sensations were so overwhelming that I thought that I was having a stroke. I stood there trying to get control and it occurred to me that I was alone in this barn..... Adam may or may not be coming over soon because he might have rolled back over to sleep more....... I wasn't afraid.... but at the same time, I was terrified that Adam would find me hanging over in a barrel of silage...

Things got much worse and I considered calling an ambulance...... those of you that know me realize by now that I sincerely thought I was going to die--- because that is the only way I would EVER call an ambulance.
I just stood there gripping the barrel and taking long slow breaths until I began to think that I MIGHT just live through this and began to ease my way back to the house. By the time I made it to the house, I was feeling better and Adam was up and putting on his boots. His first words were, " WHAT is wrong???".  As I turned to shut the door, it all happened again. I called Neil and tearfully told him that someone needed to come home----- again very unlike me and enough to cause him to be very concerned. He immediately dispatched Seth for home and started making arrangements to get himself home.

After a few more spells, I began to realize the problem had to do with when I changed positions rapidly..... probably not a stroke. Living in a small town has many advantages and one of them is that the folks at the Doctor's office know you by first name and will shuffle you right in to see the physician's assistant---- who I absolutely adore! Turns out, both of my ears as well as all of sinus cavities are infected. Neil and I sat at the local diner and had coffee while we waited for the pharmacy to fill my antibiotic prescription.

I am going to be fine but for just a moment....... I didn't think that I was. The panic for me was that I was alone and if something did happen to me, Adam would be the one to find me. I guess that what ever hat I wear, I will always be "Mama" first....... 

No comments:

Post a Comment