Shades of Ireland

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Feels Like Summer

I don't mean just by the weather. It is very warm these days but the flow of my days seem alot like summer. The road is very busy with grain trucks hauling the wheat harvest to town. I just came in from chores and it is almost dark. I can see the lights from the combines still at work across the fields. My neighbor was raking hay and just stopped for the night at about the same time that I did......

The corn across the road is tall and tasseled out...... very early.  When I wander out to check cows, I am able to pick enough black berries to call it breakfast-on-the-go.


This is a heifer I call "Buffy"-- because when she was a baby she was very ugly and resembled a buffalo. She has improved with puberty. This evening she was cooling off in the pond.




This little bantam hen has made herself a nest in the pink horse bucket. We found her earlier this week and I moved it to a safer pen. I have no idea if or when she might hatch out her chicks......



These are my boarders. One of them has CAE so I keep them totally separate from my herd and they have to be hand milked. Normally, they live in a small town and they seem to be really enjoying this country life with lots of grazing...... My friend is improving but she is still weak from the chemo. She is scheduled for her next round on Wednesday. I am afraid that it is going to be quite some time before she is able to have them back home......



As you can see, the new starter worked for Hammer. Neil has begun to mow the weediest parts of our pasture. It is very slow going because the brush hog is really just a bit too big for this tractor and the pasture is FULL of stumps. We have tried to walk over it and mark them but there are still a few surprises in the tall grass and weeds. Neil say that at this rate, we should have the whole pastured mowed in about a year.......


Seth has been practicing for his muzzle loader competition and getting very discouraged. The more he practiced, the worse he shot. We finally decided that he has just worn the rifling out of the barrel of his favorite gun. It is probably 25 years old and well used before we bought it. Seth has calculated that he has probably shot over 1500 rounds out of it in the last two years.  Charlie used it before him. We made a trip to the local hunting shop just to see if they might have one..... usually they don't. Very few people use a traditional muzzle loader anymore. Imagine our surprise when the owner grinned and pulled out a beautiful rifle from the back room....... Needless to say, we brought it home and Seth is a very happy young man.......


 

No comments:

Post a Comment