Shades of Ireland

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Grazing-- Day 2


This morning, I am dragging a bit so Seth made it over to the barn ahead of me and got the girls milked.
I got over there just in time to load up and drive out to see how the new grazing system was working.


I was very happy to find this! All the girls and calves still in the small paddock. The water trough was empty and they were all waiting patiently for us to come fill it. We decided to swap out tanks and use a slightly bigger one that was also a bit more shallow. That would give them a few more sips of water and might allow the taller calves to get a drink. We have it set up on a set of hay moving forks so we can move it with the tractor if there is still some water in it. That makes it a bit taller than we expected.

So while Seth was moving the fence charger and the trough, the dogs and I headed back to the barn to get water.


That sounds a lot easier than it really is. I have to load up the tank into the back of the truck and fill it up.





This morning, I just had to pause and reflect on this chore just a bit. I am realizing more and more each day that I am getting old. There was a time when I just would have put this tank in the back of the truck with out a second thought. Now days...... it takes a bit of shifting, maneuvering, balancing and just plain old hefting to get the job done. It doesn't drain well so there is always a couple of inches of water in the bottom that gives me trouble.



I managed to get it done and only dropped it once. As much as it pains me, we are having to use rural water. I can just hear the meter whirling around...... the plan is to get the pump and generator going and eventually use pond or spring water. Unfortunately, until we get a good rain, all we can reach right now is mud.

While the tank was filling, I rushed around and got a few other chores done.


I heated up the calf bottles in the new sink before I left for the first cow check so they were ready to feed now. Adam was at the house doing some major baking so I agreed to do his chores for him.
Fed the chickens, goats and watered the horses. By that time, the tank was approaching full and Seth was coming back to the barn with the tractor. He told me the cows moved right through the gate into the next paddock following the tractor and water tank.


All that was left to do was to fill up the water tank...... easy peasy.... right?

I had been feeling a bit peculiar for a couple of days. This morning, it was worse. Not sick, just a bit light headed, etc. Charlie appeared at about the time we were finishing up and I told him I felt strange. He told me I was looking flushed and touched my forehead....... I have a fever!!!

I am going to be spending a bit of time inside today..... maybe even in bed!



2 comments:

  1. Nothing ever is easy on the farm, no matter how "simple" a task!

    Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotsta take care of yourself, too! Rest well.

    ReplyDelete